Saturday, September 5, 2009

I AM INSURED...yet I still feel unprotected

I see consumerwatchdog.com post hugh billboards about evil Mercury Insurance company and how they want to screw the consumer. I hear evil things about how Wellpoint (Blue Cross is under Wellpoint) and how they are coercing their employees to rally against health reform.

I'm totally screwed.

My (really our..my husband & me) are insured by Mercury for Auto & Home and Blue Cross for Medical.

I'm feeling totally screwed and even though I pay those premiums every month, in full on time, I feel when it comes time to eventually use the insurance they will not be there to deliver. I am feeling raped of my hard earned money which I am willingly giving to these crooks, yet lucky I am insured. What is wrong with this picture? I would love to say "Screw You" and stop it all but we are so conditioned as a society that we MUST BE INSURED or we will lose everything if something happens .... Well....we are insured (but are we really?) and I still feel like we could lose everything while we are paying enormous amounts of money every year for what? Protection? Why don't I feel like I am being protected?

I actually looked into changing to another insurance company (scouted around for quotes from others)- BUT guess what? Our premiums would DOUBLE!!! YES DOUBLE!!! You see my husband has been with Mercury since the dawn of time and because we (he really...I just came along with marriage)has been such a long time "loyal" customer we get a fantastic discount (this is to keep us since they make money off us because we have not filed a claim in a decade or more). Essentially we are customers THEY want so we get the carrot dangled and we stay and Pray they will have mercy if we will ever need them in the future. How sick is this????

And speaking of SICK.....We better not get sick or we are really screwed - we have Anthem (Blue Cross) of CA and they are apparently no better. UGH......
Of course I am not planning on getting sick, in fact the chances are very low being that I do a lot of self care in the form of prevention and Eastern type medicine (acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, NET, NRT and on...I have a village). Obviously exercise is a staple in our household being that is our business and along with that we eat very healthy. Organic is the norm for us in all ways not just food. We buy local as much as we can and support the community in various ways through contributions of both time and money. Practicing health goes beyond just nutrition it's a way of life. It's a part of all our relationships (family, friends, neighbors and community), needless to say we lead a life where we think about health everyday...actually we really don't have to think about it...it's our normal. So I suppose in this way, I feel the most protected. Taking accountability and responsibility for my life is my protection in my own way. I am certainly not leaving it up to any insurance company that is for sure.

I can only hope if it ever comes to pass that the unforeseen occurs in the form of an accident, injury or an illness (that could not be prevented) my insurance would some how come through. Although, I am not holding my breath or taking a backseat, I stay proactive, aware and I am going to pay attention and be mindful and present each moment.

No comments: