Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Secrets to Successful Aging...it's not all about the genes

I recently changed my Facebook profile picture from a photo of my feet in crocs standing in sand to a photo of my face with my chin resting against my hands as I am seated on a piece of Pilates equipment in my studio. Nothing special, just a photo taken by a friend for use "professionally" when needed.  What struck me was the almost immediate (and continual) responses, "likes" and "comment posts" to that photo. Truth be told, that photo was taken a few years ago, however I still look pretty much the same. And that's exactly what was being mentioned by friends who were posting. People from my high school days were saying "you look exactly the same as you did in high school" and "it must be the water you drink in California", "what are you doing?"

Well allow me to share some of my secrets (which are really not so secret). Yes DNA does play a small part, however genetics are only 10% in play here and those genes I can say without a doubt came from my dad. Throughout his life my dad was consistently told by so many people (mostly his doctors) that he looked at least a decade if not more, younger than his chronological age. This would infuriate my mother because she would often be kidded about "marrying a younger man". My mother is two years younger than my dad's age and she let everyone who made that comment know that fact.

So here are my not so secret "secrets" that I live by. But before I get into that..... here are (3) photo's taken over the decades so you can see for yourself. 


  This is my HIGH SCHOOL photo from my yearbook circa 1978.  Age 17 at the time



This is a photo from my "Aerobic Instructor Days" (80's hair) circa 1989   Age 29



This is my FB profile photo I posted - taken Oct 2010 - Age 50


Ah yes, if you do the math this year in August I will be 53. I am damn proud of it too. I also for the most part hardly ever wear make up, except on the rare occasion when I dress up for an event- (yes I am wearing some light make up in the above photo). Even then my make up consists of a few blush strokes on the cheeks, mascara and lip gloss. I have no time or patience for make up.  

Here are my 10 age busting not so secret secrets....

  1. Surround yourself with LOVE. People you love and who love you. Tell them you love them. Partners (husbands, wives), family, friends and animals. Daily. Connect however you can (in person, voice, email, text). DAILY.
  2.  Remove TOXIC people from your life. Toxic people are like vampires, they suck away your soul and leave you with nothing. Get rid of them and you will feel lighter, instantly. Trust me on this one....
  3. Laugh EVERYDAY. My husband asked me why I fell in love with him. My answer...He makes me laugh, EVERYDAY. We end an argument by breaking out into laughter and forget what stupid thing we were arguing about. laughing is good for the soul and burns a lot of calories.
  4. Drink Red Wine (except if you have an addiction then skip this one). 
  5. Eat WHOLE FOODS EVERYDAY and make them the bulk of your nourishment. 
  6. Eliminate TOXIC foods and Toxic products (toxic anything that comes in contact with your skin -read labels and check the ewg.org website) from your life. COMPLETELY. 
  7. MOVE your body DAILY. Outside preferably. If you want to call it exercise that is just fine by me, just move. And Stand and Sit with proper posture, always.
  8. DRINK WATER daily. A lot but not too much. 
  9. SLEEP deeply and soundly as best you can. I realize this is a tough one for many people. Try going to bed earlier, that may be a good start.
  10. FEED your mind. DAILY. not with crap either with good stuff...you know what I mean.    
Yes I do all this - and it keeps me living a reduced stressed life (notice I did not say stress free because that would be a lie). The truth is - Stress is the number one thing that will age you faster than anything else. I am also extremely blessed to have a career that I love, which everyday I am so grateful for. 

So that's it - my not so secret secrets to how I believe I stay looking and feeling younger than my chronological age.  

You got any secrets? 

Till next time - L        

















No comments: