Sunday, March 21, 2010

Deciding YOUR own Health Destiny

It's after 3PM and normally I do my blog entry following my morning coffee and CBS Sunday Morning program. However, today I just needed a little more time and inspiration to develop what I wanted to say in my writing.

I decided to write about my favorite subject which is Health, apropos for the historic vote in congress on Health Care reform, in addition to the running of the Los Angeles Marathon. What is interesting about both of these events are the people involved in them are extremely passionate about health but in two completely different ways. One is curative and the other preventative. The curative being, government trying to resuscitate or rather "fix" somehow a completely broken Health Care system by trying in essence to put a band aid on a massive coronary, however I suppose a band aid is better than nothing. And... for many individuals here in the US, congress is also deciding their health destiny. The other being (for many running today) trying to prevent ever having a massive coronary (although some are destine to have one anyway). While I do think to some extent marathon running is extreme, it is exercise and that is a means toward prevention of certain diseases. So I guess in a way these are to extremes that have the common thread of health. Although, I think I would rather be running in the LA Marathon today than to be in that fire pit of of HELL called congress.

Whatever comes out of that hell hole today (which I do hope reform does happen because to lay dormant is certainly NOT progress) my hope is that individuals realize we have the power to a very large extent to dictate our personal health outcome. Can the unforeseen happen? Of course it can, however 70% of the cost the US spends on Health Care (crisis care) is in large part for diseases that are completely preventable. I strongly believe that if we all took an interest in our own wellness we would be headed collectively in a much better direction. No you don't have to run a Marathon but getting outside for a walk, a hike or just playing and being active puts you on a path toward a better and more productive outcome. It is truly that simple. Making better choices about food or addictive substances that wreak havoc with your body is a power we take for granted. It's all about choice and making the best choices to live a health life with unlimited vitality.

So on this historic day no matter what the outcome is with regard to Health Reform, choose to reform your own health and I guarantee you will come out a winner....just like all those people who pump their arms over their head when they cross that finish line at the end of 26.2 miles - they are champions of their own health destiny.

Yours In Health ~ L

No comments: