Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's A Full Time JOB to Stay Healthy In This World

It has been several weeks since my last blog, and frankly I just needed a break from feeling like blogging was a job (even writing a blog once a week sometimes feels like pressure). Writing is a passion of mine and I want to keep it that way, so when I am inspired and have something to say, I will. Today I do, and now I write.

I have been feeling like I need a suit of armor (or hazmat) to survive and stay healthy living on this planet. I know that sounds extreme, but lately that's how I feel. Sometimes reading and empowering myself with knowledge may not be such a good thing...I may now be thinking "ignorance is truly bliss." Have you ever noticed that just about everyday something else comes out across the wire that can be harmful to your health?...Egads!!...It is amazing people actually live past birth. Between our air and water being polluted, our food supply being sprayed and genetically modified, personal care products being filled with toxic chemicals penetrating our skin how do we even have a chance? And you think the western medical establishment and BIG PHARMA will help if we succumb to disease? Well think again...because that's a crap shoot as well. Like I have said over and over again, taking responsibility of ones own health is the first (and BEST) defense. Over the past month, I have made several very positive healthful adjustments to my lifestyle (and my husbands...he he) to help promote our best defense and increase "our" vitality.

Way Back in my early twenties (during the stone age), I became a vegetarian which lasted for about 17 years. I was later bamboozled into thinking animal-based protein was the very best source of the so-called highly nutritionally valuable macro-nutrient source, whereby having me start eating meat (poultry actually) once again. I became hooked on meat, and did buy into touting it's nutritional value trying to convince myself of it's worthiness. I did this for fifteen years until I recently decided to become a plant-based/whole grain eater once again, and honestly, it wasn't so difficult. The turning point for me was reading the book The China Study. I have read more books about nutrition, diet...yada yada over the years to realize this book really had me at "you want to know how healthy you are...look at the end of your fork" (also watching FOOD INC about 100 times). The author of this book says throughout "I am a researcher" and indeed he is. Not only is T. Colin Campbell a researcher, he is a very thorough one at that. His list of cited studies and references was the size of a small book. His argument for eating a plant-based, whole grain diet could not be disputed. While he does tout vegan-ism, vegetarianism is the next best thing so that I knew I could do with the intention to go vegan (someday?). Now the tough part was getting my 2 gallon a week milk drinking, cheese eating, carne asada burrito consuming husband to make that shift, and that was a whole other story. I decided to use the old "blood doesn't lie" trick and went straight to the cholesterol and triglyceride (he just had a physical and blood work done) in your face these are your levels.. truth. "You need to get those blood levels down especially now that you're in your fifties" was my rant and I used the book as proof. My husband is a "just the facts ma'am" guy, he wants legitimate cited studies, research, hard core proof...so then I knew I got him because this book has it all. Thanks to T. Colin Campbell and The China Study book, now Dennis is a transformed man (OK on his way to being a transformed man). It's been a week for him now, and I already see the changes and it's great. He may slip in a little meat here and there on the road to being a vegetarian, but I will take it...this is a major milestone.

As far as I go, well this week I ate just about completely vegan and I feel fabulous. I prepared my first all American vegan burger recipe (from my new vegan cookbook), which will be grilled tonight, and eaten along with accompaniments of fresh greens from the FM and (of course) wine (not giving that up). I must say vegan prep has a labor intensive learning curve, but definately worth time put in. I also went through my medicine cabinet, and storage drawers and threw out all the toxic sun screen, cosmetics, and personal care products that did not score above a 3 on http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ which amounted to a few hundred bucks worth. I decided our health and life was worth it. I am now using this website to restock my supply of just about everything which has now turned into another job. I have officially become a product researcher...OY Vey.

In this ever growing toxic world we live I believe the best defense starts at home, making positive changes using reliable, trustworthy resources (as in never believe the FDA) and yes it takes work to find them. And I am happy to pass them to you so you can have another job as well...

OK put on your HAZMAT suit and go out and enjoy the world!!!!

See you next time....

yours in Good Health ~ L

1 comment:

Canada Business Directory said...

Very interesting info!It will be a great knowledge to us and thank you so much for sharing this. Infect proper diet and workout are necessary for being healthy and fit.
Tacoma exercise